BSC 750 HISTORY OF MEDICINE AMONG AFRICAN AMERICANS:IMPLICATIONS FOR HEALTH DISPARITIES. (3 credit hours) This course on the history of medicine among African Americans seeks to provide an understanding of the roots of the African American health deficit. The course will enable students to: 1) Articulate how the earliest encounters between African Americans and Western medical researchers set the stage for health inequities. 2) Engage in and direct thought-provoking discussions of how racist pseudoscientific ideas remain in contemporary society that contributes to health disparities among African Americans. 3) Critically examine the theory of eugenics and social Darwinism and how they are used to justify experimental exploitation and poor medical treatment of African Americans. 4) Understand and identify how historical and contemporary medical issues have contributed to medical ethics of distrust in the African American community.
BSC 755 RACE, RACISM AND HEALTH DISPARITIES AMONG BLACKS IN THE U.S. (3 credit hours) This course on racism and health disparities is designed to support graduate studies in the social sciences, allied health, and medical disciplines. This course will briefly review the biological and social history of race in America; critique emerging views on the genetics of race; discuss how the classification/mechanism of “race” operates to contribute to health disparities; explore theoretical frameworks of racism and related measures; differentiate between the terms “health inequities”, “health inequalities” and “health disparities”; and, examine the biopsychosocial impact of racism on health. Although it is recognized that the discussion of race, racism and health is relevant to other “racially-classified social groups” the course will draw primarily upon the experience of Blacks in the U.S.
Race and Health Profession's Education Resources
- Structural Racism and Supporting Black Lives - The Role of Health Professionals
- How Medical Education is Missing the Bull’s-eye
- Racial Bias in Flexner Report Permeates Medical Education Today
- Study Backs Flexner Report’s Negative Impact on Black Physicians
- Commentary: Racism and Bias in Health Professions Education: How Educators, Faculty Developers, and Researchers Can Make a Difference
- American Public Health Association Webinar - Racism: The Ultimate Underlying Condition.
- Association of American Medical Colleges. Beyond the White Coat Podcast. "Racial Health Disparities: How COVID-19 Magnified a Public Health Emergency."
- Podcast: Racism as a public health issue
- Racism and Health: A Reading List
- Journal of Best Practices in Health Professions Diversity: Research, Education and Policy
- Addressing Harmful Bias and Eliminating Discrimination in Health Professions Learning Environments
- Race Matters: Race, Racism, & Healthcare
- Black Men In White Coats: Panel Discussion
Social Mission Opportunities
- NIH National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities Loan Repayment Program is open for applications (Deadline: November 20, 2020, 8pm EST)
- Atlantic Fellows for Health Equity (AFHE) Application Now Open! (Deadline: November 20, 2020)
- Special Issue on “Social, Structural, and Policy Determinants of Maternal and Child Health and Health Inequities” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (Deadline for manuscript submission: November 30, 2020)
- Community Interventions to Address the Consequences of the COVID-19 Pandemic among Health Disparity and Vulnerable Population (Deadline: December 1, 2020)
- Notice of Special Interest (NOSI): Competitive and Administrative Supplements for Community Interventions to Reduce the Impact of COVID-19 on Health Disparity and Other Vulnerable Populations (Expiration Date: December 30, 2020)
- Johnson & Johnson Nurses Innovate QuickFire Challenge on Mental Health (Deadline: January 15, 2021)
- 2021 Macy Faculty Scholars Application Now Open (Deadline: February 10, 2021)
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) COVID-19 Research Awards (Deadline: On a rolling basis)
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities: Active Funding Opportunities
- AAMC: Health Equity Grants & Funding Opportunities & Health Equity Fellowships and Training Programs
UK training opportunities
To be announced.